Saturday, January 1, 2011

lazyness is taking over my life....HELP!

   Its now officially supposed to be the day I started being healthier. I can say that I worked out, but I can't say it was for very long at all; about 10 minutes. Got bored and stopped. What the hell is my problem?  I really don't have the motivation and drive that I used to have. I stopped working out this morning for the dumbest excuse in the world. I knew someone at the gym.
    Yestarday I said that I was going to have this whole extravagant plan for the up and coming semester. The fact is I didn't look up anything. I ate horribly and I worked out for a total of ten minutes. ugh..... I need some motivation. I just don't know what?
     I feel like sometimes I sabatoge myself because I'm not supposed to be thin. I'm not cool or pretty enought to compete with the other girls my age. The other giant part of this equation is I'm not taking my medicine anymore.
   I have been on some sort of adderal since the second grade every day. In high school I switched for vivanse because the regular adderal I was on was making me depressed. The vivanse I noticed worked great throughout high school. However when my sophomore year of college rolled around I was beginning to go through another depression. I was put on depression medication, and it did work. However, I didn't want to become dependent, and I also noticed that on days where I ran in the morning, I didn't really need my depression medication.
   Its not that I'm not willing to run, because I am its I'm extremely lazy when it comes to doing any sort of exersize by on my own. Lately this lazyness has really taken over my life. which is why I need to get a plan and stick to it. I know I tend to talk the talk and never really walk the walk. But right now as of right now I am.
   Tonight, while I was eating dinner I looked down at my stomach. One of the buttons on my flannel shirt came undone. Ugh... was the first thing that came to my mind. I think I have finally found my motivation. Lets just say I saw a keg instead of a six pack. gross.

5 comments:

  1. Hiya, saw your comment on my blog thought I'd drop in and tell you what I did to lose the weight. First and foremost you have to have the willpower to overcome being lazy. This was hard for me, but you just have to tell yourself when you are trying to talk yourself in to stopping that its only another half hour or hour or whatever. Push through it. Eventually your body will begin to crave the exercise and workout.

    But exercising only helps lose the weight, but is not the deciding factor. I found the key was that you have to diet. I was working out an hour a day doing cardio and weight lifting and wasn't losing any weight. Couldn't figure it out, until I started counting calories and realized that it boils down to calories in, calories out. Once I started counting calories and making sure I burned more than I ate, voila the pounds starting melting off. You can lose weight by eating less and not exercising, but it is very hard to lose the weight by only exercising (of course a combination of the two is the best).

    As far as running, start out slow and only do say 20 minutes or a couple of miles. When that starts to get comfortable then increase your speed and/or mileage to something that is comfortable but is still tough, and repeat up to where you want to be.

    The motivation is a killer, and not just with starting out. I got in shape and then the motivation is a struggle now because I lost the weight. This is a constant struggle and one you will have to find and figure what works best for you.

    Best of luck losing the weight and getting back in to shape. It is so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found that running for something is super helpful. I run with Team in Training and we raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society by training for endurance races. That keeps me very active, as it's a cause I'm dedicated to. (you can read more about my involvement with TnT here http://pages.teamintraining.org/ct/cmc11/cbrandom)

    As far as weight loss, that's something I struggle with also. Weight Watchers did work well for me in the past. Now I'm just waiting to see if I can be "good" again once I'm back to a routine and have a schedule.

    I did move my blog to tinypurplerunner.blogspot.com so you will find me posting there more than at Chasing Forrest...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Beach Bum 27!
    I gained 20 pounds my 1st semester of college. Ugh.
    I was always active as a kid, yet never an athlete. I started running when I was 18 and first it served to help me get a more fit body and more sanity and then MANY years later, running started to lead me to the essence of life.

    Motivation is a tough thing. I think people are motivated mostly for 2 reasons:
    1) To achieve
    2) To avoid, as in fear

    Both are effective.

    From your blog it sounds like right now, intrinsic motivation is tough. I like one of the other comments about getting together with Team in Training so you are working with others for a cause greater than yourself.

    I think no matter what a women's size we will always see fat in our bellies. Body image is a dicey and frustrating part of life!

    If you were an athlete growing up and loved it...consider registering either for a Team InTraing Run that you have to travel to, or another event where you get to travel to...perhaps in a place you are dying to see! The $$$ commitment might keep you rolling!

    When I was in my mid 20's dealing with "laziness" as you call it and a tendency to be an over eater, I had a therapist for a short time. She helped me with math. If I walked or did other exercise I felt bad about myself for less time each day. So I set the alarm, got up, did my scheduled activity and proceeded with life...it was years later that I discovered the allure of trail racing and ultraRunning. Yet the discipline I developed by "just doing it" back then still helps me with the tough days now!

    I wish you grand adventures! Remember you are capable of far more than you think and you can handle much more discomfort than you want to!
    Warmly,
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  4. A quick aside, working out twice a day may not be necessary and may be overkill. If you are up to it then more power to you, but one thing with running and working out is you want it to be a measured pace so as not to burn yourself out.

    The key here is to diet and exercise so that it's a life style change, one that you can continue and endure after you've gotten in shape. Its very easy to fall back in to old habits unless you set yourself up for success.

    Again, best of luck!

    ReplyDelete